Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Barcelona --- 5 Months Later

It's back to the blogging world thanks to reminders from my grandmother that I have yet to post about Barcelona (my last trip overseas) and because you can't help but miss this thing!

Travel back about 5 months...

I decided to stay a few more days in Europe after my program ended to visit some friends of the family in Barcelona.  Funny story how we know them.  About 5 years ago, my mom hired an intern at the State Fair that was hosting a foreign exchange student, Jordi, from Spain that also wanted to work for the summer.  So, he too became an intern and worked with me in Little Hands on the Farm.  I didn't understand a word he said, but he was such a happy guy and loved being there, even though the conditions were hot, tiring, and miserable. 

This is Jordi, his fiance, and his sister... 
We have kept in touch with him over the years and every year we get an invitation to his parent's flat in Barcelona.  I finally took advantage of this amazing flat with beautiful views, five bedrooms, a huge balcony, and private elevator.  His parents are both well respected doctors in Spain and some of the most kind people you will ever meet.  They refused to let me pay for a thing, loved practicing their English with me, and fed me more food than I could handle.  Every day, they planned an itinerary for Jordi and I to walk around Spain and see the sights.  I think I went into every museum in Barcelona.  My favorite was Antonio Gaudi's house.  They also took me on this air tram ride over the city, on a road trip to a tiny little beach town where all the "kids" go, and out to a very fancy dinner with 5 courses.  Seriously, the amount of food they fed me was outrageous!  The last night they threw a party for me on their balcony with American food (chips) and Hawaiian lays and gave me a chocolate bar in the shape of my name, Abigail.  Even though I had just met them, they somehow figured out my semi-ridiculous obsession with chocolate. 
 
Barcelona was very fun and Jordi and his family were great hosts.  But by this point in the trip, I was beyond ready to come home and think I would have enjoyed the city much more had I gone sooner.  Either way, I finally made it over there and that is all that matters! 

Unique Antonio Gaudi Architecture
Jordi's Mom and I 
View of Barcelona from Antonio Gaudi's Park 


No comments: