Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Craziness of Florence


6-24-07

(Aunt Amy Jo, I Apologize For Not Keeping Up the Blog on a Daily Basis. I Promise to Work on This as I Now Know How Important it is to Everyone)

Happy San Giovanni Day! Today and this entire weekend has been a celebration of this San Giovanni guy, the patron saint of Florence. Although I am not sure exactly what we are all celebrating, I do know that everyone in Florence has gone absolutely crazy! The craziness began on the walk home from the train station yesterday. We took the train to Via Reggio for the day to get some sun, play in the ocean, and drink Pina Coladas. Funny story about the Pina Coladas real quick. No one in Italy knows what they are. We were dying to have some because we felt they were fitting for our day at the beach, but when we walked up to the beach restaurant, they thought we were nuts. However, one woman over heard our request and went to the back, cut up a real pineapple, and made the drinks. She was from the Dominican Republic, so of course she knew. They were fabulous. Anyway, back to Florence. Music was playing everywhere when we got to the apartment. American music. Florentines, we have noticed, love the 80’s, Gwen Stefani, Avril Lavine, and the umbrella song (Rhiana). We decided to investigate the commotion and realized that every resident of Florence was outside. I have never seen so many people in one area in my life. Streets were blocked off to make room for tables with candle light. Piazzas were crowed with people singing along to live bands and street performers performed for hundreds of viewers, including myself. In the Piazza Pitti, a band with violins, mandolins, guitars, and basses played songs very reminiscent of Nickel Creek, one of my favorite bands. I never thought I would come across that kind of music over here. I loved it. Another performer near the Ponte Vecchio attracted a huge crowd with just his piano. He was amazing. In the Piazza della Republica, a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like was putting on a comedy show, but his humor definitely would not fly in public in the United States. The craziest part was walking down the streets and seeing marathon runners run by you. Where did they come from? We followed some of them towards the Duomo where there was a finish line. Apparently, marathons here start in the evenings and runners have to maneuver their way through crowds because they have no blocked off path. Last night was probably one of the funniest, most random nights I have ever been a part of. Tonight a fireworks show takes place in the Piazza Michelangelo along with the Calcio Storico, medieval soccer game, and a parade. Should be another great night.

Kate and I finally met up for dinner! We met on the Ponte Vecchio and ate at the Open Bar restaurant. It’s a very fancy restaurant that looks out on to the Arno, so romantic. I brought along some of my friends and she brought along Princess Giulia. I explained to Giulia that I was a princess too and that even though my parents don’t run their own country, I still get to wear a tiara and a sash. She may think I am a little strange after that conversation. Hopefully, Kate and I will meet up again before she leaves.

No comments: