Wednesday, June 27, 2007

This Guy Name Michelangelo

6-26-07

Well, I did it. I survived my first exam at the Accademia. A couple days ago, after our professor outlined the structure of the exam in class, I left thinking there was no way I would be able to become an art history buff in time to pass the exam. As it turns out, my memory likes to pretend to be a steel cage when it comes to remembering certain information. I am so glad it likes to pretend with art history. We were asked to prepare to discuss, in detail, a full page list of Michelangelo’s works. Detail means everything from date, location, and patronage to composition, technique, and style. Now, locations are not hard to identify because Michelangelo really only moved between three places during his lifetime; Florence, Rome, and Bologna. Easy. But then comes the hard part of placing each artwork with a date and a patron. Thanks to Amy Jo’s Michelangelo book, I found each work separated into chapters by date and patron. Somehow the author knew I would be looking for that. Great minds think a like, that’s what I always say. Explaining the composition, technique, and style is the fun part. I have learned that when it comes to analyzing artwork, anything goes. You just have to sound like you know what things such as foreshortening and catrapposto mean. I have also learned that if you pause long enough and run your hand over the artwork without speaking, that constitutes a critique. At least, that’s what my professor does, so that must be how it’s done, right? I will have to try that method when I visit the David. This Thursday we will be visiting Michelangelo’s house and then the San Lorenzo where almost all of his drawings are stored. It is still somewhat surreal to think the famous artworks we have only seen through projectors can be seen in museums right down the street. It is even more surreal to think that in about 2 days, I will actually be able to look up and see the Sistine Chapel and stand in front of the Pietà. Two of Michelangelo’s most famous works. Unbelievable. I have never really been too excited about history, but this art history stuff is not so bad.

This past weekend, a group of students took a trip to Switzerland. A trip that I was unaware was happening. Apparently, it is called the adrenaline capital of the world so it’s no surprise that they got to go white water rafting, walk a high ropes course, and almost go skydiving. I officially have a regret, something I was trying to avoid during my trip. I would have gone to Switzerland in a heart beat! I started looking through my calendar for any possible openings, but I only have 4 more weekends here. This weekend is Rome, next is Sorrento and Capri, next is Paris, and then Barcelona. Where has the time gone? This is my resolution to the problem, mom close your eyes, I am going to skip class. That’s it. There is no other option. I have to fill this regret with extreme sports and I may just have to jump out of a plane. Am I sounding like my brother yet? I will have to look further into the trip, of course, but I will keep you updated.

Meanwhile, Kate and I are off to get my hair cut. This should be interesting.

No comments: