Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Flying Solo

(Note: This post was meant for Sunday Night...I am far behind)

It is amazing how quickly one gains independence while flying solo. I found myself sitting in the Indy Airport Saturday, all by myself, with a stomach full of nerves and close to tears. Don’t get me wrong, I was beyond ecstatic about studying abroad for 6 weeks, but being shoved into new experiences isn’t something I handle well, at first. I need a solid, well thought out plan and leaving Indy without one was terrifying. How am I going to understand Italian signs in the airport? Will I go through customs in Milan? When I get to Florence, how do I get a taxi? Who is Tonelli and why do I have to ring her doorbell? I thank my mother for this “being in control” gene. Getting to Newark, NJ is a piece of cake, chocolate cake preferably, J and getting onto the massive 747 was also pretty easy. A man wearing a Packers jersey, cut-off shorts, and high tops made me smile and relax because dad would definitely be that guy traveling to Florence dressed like a NASCAR fan. The man next to me can’t speak a lick of English but gave a little father, son, and holy ghost prayer before take-off and while landing. Also, making me smile. We land in Milan and I start following the wrong group of people headed out of the airport instead of to the transfer gates. Oops! Good thing mom reminded me to ask lots of questions. Finally, I arrive in Florence ( Firenze as they call it in the Milan airport – talk about one confused American – stood in front of the monitor for a good 5 minutes wondering where my flight was) and run into a girl from Purdue! How much smaller can this world get? Finding a taxi was the easiest part of the trip and I had to laugh at myself for being so dramatic about not finding one. I bonded with my driver and he was very impressed with my horrible attempt at speaking Italian. He taught me that when you answer the phone, you say “Pronto.” Good to know. My apartment is gigantic with high ceilings, big arching windows, sitting areas, and a kitchen. My roommate is very, very shy and quiet, but that is better than absolutely nuts. We walked around all day yesterday and saw the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, the David, the Pitti Palace, the Boboli Gardens, J.J.’s Cathedral, etc. Already I have had 3 different flavors of gelato (Coco flavor is the best), Italian pizza, Bruschetta, and Sparkling Water (sick!). I am learning so much already and cannot wait to continuing learning more. I am on my way to becoming a true Florentine.

No comments: